News from our lawyers in Perth

Are you separating and having difficulty resolving parenting issues? Considering Family Dispute Resolution?

February 22nd, 2017

Have you considered Family Dispute Resolution (FDR), a form of mediation aimed to resolve the issues with the emphasis on the best interests of the children. 10% of all divorce cases are resolved by dispute resolution. Government statistics state that where FDR is used, 55% of matters are fully resolved and 26% partially resolved, removing the need and costs for court proceedings.


So what’s involved?

Both parties attend a private initial session to provide background information and explain what they feel is important, then they both attend, with lawyers if preferred, a joint dispute resolution session, usually 3-4 hours. The key issues and the things important to each party will be discussed and the mediator will assist parties to formulate options and solutions to practically suit your family’s situation.

Why attend FDR?

It is confidential, allows you to retain control over the solution, focuses on workable outcomes, is less stressful, more flexible and more affordable than court proceedings.

What can you expect as an outcome?

Hopefully an agreed parenting plan will result without the need for court intervention or you can apply to court to make the agreement into legally enforceable consent orders.

See our Family Dispute Resolution page or call Lucy Thomas for more information.

Paterson & Dowding welcome Michelle Wilkes to the team.

February 15th, 2017

Paterson & Dowding are delighted to announce the appointment of a new lawyer, Michelle Wilkes.

Michelle has experience in both property and children matters. She is also a member of CPA Australia and has worked as an accountant for a number of years. She has a particular interest in financial matters.

Michelle who joins us from Butlers Barristers and Solicitors is a valued new member of our team of experienced family and divorce lawyers.

Craig Taylor celebrates 30 years as a lawyer

February 13th, 2017

Craig Taylor is celebrating 30 years’ service, as a Legal Practitioner, to the Western Australian community.

Craig started with Paterson & Dowding in 2006, having previously managed his own law firm and was founding partner in a personal injury, family law and insurance firm for over 10 years. Craig is currently one of the Directors at Paterson & Dowding.

Craig specialises in family law property and financial disputes and is an experienced litigator. Outside of work his passions are sailing and surfing.

Congratulations Craig.

Paterson & Dowding welcome Dionne Papamatheos to the team

January 24th, 2017

Paterson & Dowding are delighted to announce the appointment of a new lawyer, Dionne Papamatheos.

Dionne has experience in both property and children matters, as well as violence restraining orders. She also has some experience with criminal matters. Dionne has appeared in a number of courts including Family Court of WA, Perth Magistrates Court, District Court, Perth Children’s Court, Magistrates Court in Midland, Joondalup, Fremantle, Karratha and Roebourne, to name a few. She has a particular interest in financial matters.

Dionne who previously managed WLM Legal was admitted in 2009 and is a welcome and valuable addition to our team of experienced family and divorce lawyers.


What You Need To Know Before You Get Divorced

January 23rd, 2017

Most couples are completely unprepared for divorce and this lack of preparation, plus a lack of knowledge and understanding about what it takes to dissolve a marriage, can make a difficult and distressing time even more complicated and combative.

The more you know about divorce before you embark on the journey, the better for everyone involved.